The entire world is fighting with Covid19 for over a year now and with the second wave of Corona, the situation has become quite threatening in India. As per statistics, about 200K+ new cases are getting added every day in India and this is the steepest peak India has seen during this pandemic.
Precaution is better than cure.
Precautions to be taken during Covid Times
- Wear a mask and keep sanitizing.
- Rely on home-cooked meals. Buy fresh fruits and vegetables from a local vendor.
- Include foods in your diet that boost immunity. Daily consumption of these foods can do wonders.
- Rely on your mom and grand mom’s desi kadha recipe. (See below)
- Daily intake of vitamins like C, D, B and Zinc is a must. Taking vitamins is not like taking a medicine, it’s a supplement and there is no harm in it.
Immunity Booster Drink : Recipe of Desi Kadha
- Giloy: An antipyretic herb, Giloy is known to boost immunity and also help faster recovery from cold and flu. Regular intake of giloy is recommended for improving immunity against Covid and other cold and flu. You should be able to buy it from an online vegetable store (BigBasket) or a local vegetable store.
- Arjun Ki Chaal: You should be easily able to find Arjun ki Chaal on Amazon (or any online store) or a grocery store nearby that sells spices. Arjun ki chaal offers many health benefits including cholesterol,
- Tulsi Leaves: If you have a tulsi plant, use fresh leaves or you can buy it at a local vegetable store.
- Turmeric (Haldi): Use fresh turmeric root or powdered turmeric. Fresh turmeric has a lot of health benefits and should be easily available at a nearby store.
- Black Pepper (Kali Mirch): Use freshly black pepper seeds, crush it slightly before using for easier dissolution.
- Ginger (Adrak): Ginger should be easily accessible. Use a small portion of it. Keep the quantity small if using in summers.
- Cinnamon (Dalchini): Cinnamon stick or cinnamon powder both can be used.
- Carrom Seeds (Ajwain): Ajwain is one of the most beneficial spices and readily available in Indian households. Ajwain offers numerous health benefits.
- Bay Leaf (Tej Patta): Tej Patta helps in improving digestion and reduces inflammation.
How to Prepare Kadha
Add all the ingredients to a pan with water and boil it in slow to medium heat for 15-20mins. Drain it and drink it warm. Add 1/2 teaspoon of honey if you find it too bitter.
Pro Tip: You can prepare kadha in a larger quantity and store in fridge for 4-5 days. This will help you save from the everyday hassle.
How to Consume Immunity Booster Drink, Desi Kadha
Kadha is one of the most ancient ways of taking in the best of all the herbs. This Kadha recipe is shared by my mother who has been consuming this every-single-day for over a year now.
The best time to consume this immunity boosting kadha will be in the morning. If you prefer to have it later during the day, make sure of not intaking food 30-45mins before and after this kadha. You can take this drink as the last drink before going bed also.